3.73 Trac-lok - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

3.73 Trac-lok

whats a reasonable price to get 3.73gear trac-lok in my 94 lx?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

new or used? Built or bought?

Depends how picky you are about it.

You can buy one complete used every once in a while here if you can wait for it don't know how a good a deal it is though.

Lets say you want to build one since the shipping kills nearly every deal for people in AZ.
YOu could go with the iron pumpkin OEM trac loc from a SC and add the cheapest gears you can find for a little less than 200 So thats most likey 80 bucks form the jyard for the pumpkin. Get a rebuild kit and do the build yourself or take it to good shop aka AZ differential where it would cost about 400 bucks to have it all rebuilt and them supplying your new gears and rebuild kit and maybe even putting it in your car. And you can use cheaper oil or expensive oil post break in period. The cheap goes for less than half the price.

I went a much different route. I bought a mark8 case from the junkyard, trac loc by itself from tccoa, billet flowcover brace from scp.com, used 2.25 qts motor craft full synthetic gear oil from the dealer+frict mod, a rebuild kit and 3.73s from scp.com as well. The trac loc was rebuilt for more heavy duty use before it arrived to me 4 clutch stacks and f150 s spring. The parts where all dropped off to a shop. I went to the most reputable shop in my area AZ Differential and later on I put complete unit in my car myself. These things don't come together quick for everyone because you either hunt donw your trac lok or by a new expensive one. That alone changes the price wildly. A cheap price to build one would cost $550+ to do it. I spent much more than that like $850+ but mine can handle more punishment with the right oil and brace. I know is done right and never needs touching. I spent more than I want to admit but if you research what I bought you get the idea of how much it will cost you to do this particular set up. The gear oil I bought was 18 bucks a quart plus 2 bottles of 10 buck friction modifier to boot. I broke the unit in with cheap supertec gear oil first though.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I paid $250 for a complete iron pumpkin with about 20k on the clutches.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

can i just buy a new trac-lok differentail and the 3.73 gears and get them put into my 8.8 i already have?? hey splattered what do u mean by the shipping is what mostly kills the deals for ppl in AZ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:50 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtbird94 View Post
can i just buy a new trac-lok differentail and the 3.73 gears and get them put into my 8.8 i already have?? hey splattered what do u mean by the shipping is what mostly kills the deals for ppl in AZ?
AS far as I can tell most of the sweeter deals on complete pumpkins that are used come from the eastern half of the US making shipping a complete pumpkin nearly 100 bucks. Thats a lot, I paid only 125 in labor charges to get this built. You have access to one of the best local shops too, they are also the only shop another AZ member goofizzle used for his builds. You could buy used gears and save a grip.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

if i get the trac-lok diff and 3.73 gears installed in my 94 lx will that traction control still work???
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It will still work, yes. It's a function of the ABS. However it will increase clutch pack wear if you leave it on while there's wheelspin.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in