CV shafts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

CV shafts

I need to replace the halfshafts on my 4.6 95 tbird, the "knocking" is getting worse. I know I can get reman replacements anywhere but how good are these? I have 3:73 gears in the rear and I'd like some good joints that are going to last and hold up to some abuse. Are SC halfshafts better than stock 4.6 shafts?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Yes SC half shafts are better but they come with 1 shaft bigger than the other. If you find 2 SCs then you can have 2 of whats called fat shafts. Or you can upgrade with mark8 HS's, the gen1 has hardened outer joints and the gen2s have the strongest OEM shafts available. There are even stronger HS available aftermarket the Horsepower TV tbird used 1600 halfshafts. SO yeah you have choices. I run gen2 mark8 halfshafts np.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

So the gen 2 mark VIII halfshafts are a direct "bolt" in? So are the aftermarket mark VIII halfshafts any good?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:26 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh68 View Post
So the gen 2 mark VIII halfshafts are a direct "bolt" in? So are the aftermarket mark VIII halfshafts any good?

Mike
Yeah they LOL "bolt in" just fine. More like "slide in" but yeah they work fine, all mn12s andfn10s can use each others HS's.

There is a pecking order in which ones can handle the most abuse(v6s got tooth picks, v8s sohc are better, sc's have fat shafts, mark8 have ones that are just as strong or stronger in the case of gen 2s).

Get mark8 HS's or 2 fat shafts from a SC. No one I know of here uses aftermarket shafts because you can run 10s on OEM parts mostly is why I think thats the case.

For 1600 those shafts better be good LOL at 1600 half shafts I can get you SC or mark half shafts far cheaper and not rusted.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Yeah they LOL "bolt in" just fine. More like "slide in" but yeah they work fine, all mn12s andfn10s can use each others HS's.

There is a pecking order in which ones can handle the most abuse(v6s got tooth picks, v8s sohc are better, sc's have fat shafts, mark8 have ones that are just as strong or stronger in the case of gen 2s).

Get mark8 HS's or 2 fat shafts from a SC. No one I know of here uses aftermarket shafts because you can run 10s on OEM parts mostly is why I think thats the case.

For 1600 those shafts better be good LOL at 1600 half shafts I can get you SC or mark half shafts far cheaper and not rusted.
LOL! Exactly, there is no way I'm spending $1600 on halfshafts. I haven't seen any gen 2 mark VIII's in any of the yards I go to. PM sent

Last edited by mh68; 12-10-2011 at 04:42 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:05 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270817735455...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
What is your take on EMPI half shafts? I see it has a 1.200" bar. I think it's made in China, but what isn't...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...,parttype,2288

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Banned

For the record only the right side manual trans sc has the fatter shaft at 1.5 inches.

All other sc's, autos, and the left side manual trans sc's, came with 1.2 inch dia. shatfs.

The 4.6 birds came with shatfs that are 1.08 inches in dia..

Harden Mark VIII shafts sound good, and that's the second time such has been mentioned in this forum that I'm aware of.

Beware when searching junkyards for used shafts. They may not be period correct. Same too with reman. shafts from a parts provider. New shafts from Ford are discontinued.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I bought two for my Cobra IRS into my SVO swap. They are brand spanking new.

84 SVO Bright Amber Met, B234F 16V Volvo head conversion, RPE custom intake, header, FMIC, 38MM BOV, RPE modified diamond pistons, Crower rods, HE351 Holset, 44MM WG/dump, A1000/sumped tank, -8AN lines, 72lb injectors, 03 Cobra hydroboost, rack, brakes, IRS, Bilsteins/coil overs, MM lower control arms, RPE bumpsteer kit, T-tops
96 Mark VIII Black, black, Bullitts, Hub swapped/redrilled rear hubs, full RPE chassis brace kit, Maruader TC, Jmod
68 F100 Flareside CVIFS/M8IRS, 32V, T45, Cobra brakes, hydroboost, 3.55, 03 Cobra wheels
RAW Performance Engineering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in