Just installed Mark VIII rear in Thunderbird w/ 4.10 trac loc - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Cool Just installed Mark VIII rear in Thunderbird w/ 4.10 trac loc

So I was surfing my local craigslist postings last week and found a very nice gem. This fellow was selling a complete rear end (disc to disc) from a 1997 Mark VIII. To sweeten the deal I read that it supposably had 4.10 gears and trac loc. I found this to be a bit peculiar, in fact I was sure he was lying. However he wasn't lying about the price, for the small price of $250 i couldn't resist. I called the gentleman up and asked if I could go and see it. He welcomed me and within the hour I was at his front doorstep.

He took me to the garage, where he had kept the rear end. My first thought was to turn the pinion where the driveshaft connects. Sure enough, it spun both sides in the same direction. My eyes widened , i practically through the money in his face as I ran to bring my truck around.

This past weekend, a buddy and I dropped the old cast iron rear end and installed the Mark VIII. Took us about 6 or 6.5 hours to complete on the ground. I took it out that night and sure enough, he also wasn't lying about the 4.10 gear. According to my GPS I was doing 45 mph while my speedo read around 65 or so.

I am very happy with the results Can't wait to get it to the trac and see what kind of improvement it has made.

Daily Driver - 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 manual black on black. Stock for now.

Current Project - 1996 T-bird LX 4.6L: PI head swap, factory 3.27 TL, tuned by Don LaSota.

Retired Car - 1995 T-bird LX 4.6L: 4v swap plus Cobra goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Did you get the control arms? Thats one hell of a killer deal I paid a ton more just for the pumpkin to be built.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM
PostWhore

Wow what a deal. I kick myself in the a$$ everyday for how much i spent on building my rear diff. Oh well.

1995 Tbird ~ 02 explorer SVO 4.6 Sold
1986 built/restored notch body mustang ~ appears as a 91+ built 5.0 gt40p, Ud pullies, ss headers, msd everything, arp head bolts, 1.7 crane roller rockers, B303 cam, Holley carb, high rise intake,5 speed, steeda everything. Sold
2001 GT BULLITT #00762 stock
2000 GT ~ 310 rwhp on mustang dyno. 08 2v, super low miles, comp 262 cams, bbk ud pullies, ported bullitt intake/accufab TB, 24# injectors, dyno tuned, 3inch pypes catless x pipe system, cobra brakes, coated cross & drilled rotors, Cobra r hood, 99-01 cobra front bumper, & 01-04 side scoops, dropped
2003 z71 avalanche fully loaded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Did you get the control arms? Thats one hell of a killer deal I paid a ton more just for the pumpkin to be built.
Yes sir the control arms too. lol

Current Project - 1996 T-bird LX 4.6L: PI head swap, factory 3.27 TL, tuned by Don LaSota.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Nice find! I found my '98 Mark VIII rear sub for $100, but it had the stock open 3.27 gears.

Not saying you don't have trac-lok, but you should try spinning one tire with both off the ground (and the car in neutral). The pinion does sometimes spin both tires same direction even with open differential, but spinning ONE TIRE will definitely tell the story - the other tire with either follow it (same direction - loc) or spin other direction (open).

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
Nice find! I found my '98 Mark VIII rear sub for $100, but it had the stock open 3.27 gears.

Not saying you don't have trac-lok, but you should try spinning one tire with both off the ground (and the car in neutral). The pinion does sometimes spin both tires same direction even with open differential, but spinning ONE TIRE will definitely tell the story - the other tire with either follow it (same direction - loc) or spin other direction (open).
Well I took it for a ride and it definitely leaves snakes, and does a "real" donut lol

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_unique_91 View Post
Well I took it for a ride and it definitely leaves snakes, and does a "real" donut lol
roflmbo Outstanding!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in