Gear swap in a 92LX questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Gear swap in a 92LX questions

I have read all the threads I could find concerning gear swaps and most seem to be for 94 and up models. They say any more than two steps up that a tune and possibly speed cal are needed. Does this apply to a 92 5.0 AOD car?
I dont beleive its an electronically controlled aod(e) version but might be misinformed.
Also I may have found a Trac loc from a 90 s/c but beleive its 2.73's, will 3.55 or 3.73 ring and pinion from an explorer fit that carrier or are they like chevys with 2 series and 3 series carriers?
Another curious question since I just got this bird, do the 92's have a speed and/or rev limiter?
Any other input is welcomed.........prefer useful input though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:43 AM
5th Gear Poster

To my knowledge that is an AOD trans and not an AODE, but I might be wrong. You might need to get the right tail shaft gear to set the speedo back. I am not familiar with the speed cal someone else will have to input on that. All SC's prior to 94 had TracLoc units, the 94/95 SC's only had them with the manual trans. Any gear will fit so long as it is the 8.8 inch gear and pinion (2.73-4.56) Mustang, Crown Vic, Explorer, F-150, etc. The gears are none bias. You do have a rev limiter as for the speed limiter being that car is OBD-I or earlier I don't have the slightest clue on how to fix that.

Daily Driver - 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 manual black on black. Stock for now.

Current Project - 1996 T-bird LX 4.6L: PI head swap, factory 3.27 TL, tuned by Don LaSota.

Retired Car - 1995 T-bird LX 4.6L: 4v swap plus Cobra goodies
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 08:42 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LX5.0
I have read all the threads I could find concerning gear swaps and most seem to be for 94 and up models. They say any more than two steps up that a tune and possibly speed cal are needed. Does this apply to a 92 5.0 AOD car?
I dont beleive its an electronically controlled aod(e) version but might be misinformed.
You have an AOD in your 92..It is not electronically controlled..

With your "stock" AOD..If you go (numerically) any higher than 3.55 gears it will cause early shift issues..
(You can overcome the early shifts by using a Manual Valve Body)

Quote:
I may have found a Trac loc from a 90 s/c, will 3.55 or 3.73 ring and pinion from an explorer fit that carrier?
The "easiest" way is to use only the gears from the Explorer and use the complete TL unit from the SC, all installed into your Differential..

Quote:
do the 92's have a speed and/or rev limiter?
Yes..You can remove the Speed Limiter on all the 91-93 (5.0) MN12's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie
Bypassing the speed limiter
You need to place a mini switch inline of the Vehicle Speed Sensor VVS signal to the Electronic Engine Control EEC. This wire is identified by the connector going into the EEC. Look for the numbers at the one end of the plug 41 21 1. The wire you want is #3. So start at wire 1 and count to 3. The color of the wire should be dark green with a white stripe. Do not just cut the wire and leave it. This signal also controls your Idle Speed Control Solenoid ISC or the air bypass valve, while the car is at a stop at idle or the A/C is on. So it could cause you to stall if in the bypass mode while at a light or stop.

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison

Last edited by Rayo; 10-23-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: correction..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92LX5.0 View Post
Also I may have found a Trac loc from a 90 s/c but beleive its 2.73's, will 3.55 or 3.73 ring and pinion from an explorer fit that carrier or are they like chevys with 2 series and 3 series carriers?
You can use the complete Trac-Lok and Gears out of an Explorer..Just make sure you leave out the Circlips when you install it in your Thunderbird Differential..

Rayo..
I don't think that is correct info, Rayo.
As far as I know, all Explorers used 31 spline axles which means he cannot use the whole chunk in his TBird.
All TBirds use 28 splines axles.

He can use the gears from the Explorer and the existing 28 spline trac lok he already has.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Thanks..Figures I would leave something out..

He can still use the Trac-Lok and Gears out of an Explorer..

All he has to do is swap out the Explorer 31 spline Trac-Lok side gears for Thunderbird 28 spline Trak-Lok side gears..

*I edited my original post..

Rayo..
I wondered about that before, but somebody here said you couldn't do that, either, that the cage was different?

I don't know if that is possible or not, but I wish someone would actually do it and answer that question concretely!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
You have an AOD in your 92..It is not electronically controlled..

With your "stock" AOD..If you go (numerically) any higher than 3.55 gears it will cause early shift issues..
(You can overcome the early shifts by using a Manual Valve Body)

The "easiest" way is to use only the gears from the Explorer and use the complete TL unit from the SC, all installed into your Differential..

Yes..You can remove the Speed Limiter on all the 91-93 (5.0) MN12's..

Rayo..
How early will it shift with 3.73's?
Can a shift kit help or will it need a vb swap?
According to the previous owner it has a shift kit now. It does feel firmer and will chirp the tires a bit at shift points. But I am also dealing with possible mount issues so that may be affecting the shift as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
How early will it shift with 3.73's?
Can a shift kit help or will it need a vb swap?
According to the previous owner it has a shift kit now. It does feel firmer and will chirp the tires a bit at shift points. But I am also dealing with possible mount issues so that may be affecting the shift as well.
Roughly..At 40 Mph you will be in 4th Gear with 3.73's..

Changing out the Governor might help??..

I doubt that a shift kit will fix the early shifts though..

You could always install the Gears and Trac-lok..Then go from there..It's hard telling what's been messed with in that AOD of yours..

Then if you decide you don't like the way it's shifting, and you want total control of 1-2-3-4 gears..You could get the Full Manual Valve Body..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there." George Harrison
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Roughly..At 40 Mph you will be in 4th Gear with 3.73's..

Changing out the Governor might help??..

I doubt that a shift kit will fix the early shifts though..

You could always install the Gears and Trac-lok..Then go from there..It's hard telling what's been messed with in that AOD of yours..

Then if you decide you don't like the way it's shifting, and you want total control of 1-2-3-4 gears..You could get the Full Manual Valve Body..

Rayo..
That seems a bit earlier than I'd like it to shift although the stock shift points are usually too soon for me.
I could avoid the early 4th by using D and then manually shifting to OD couldnt I?
I would like to swap it so I at least have manual control of the 1-2 shift but then that puts me back to the early 3-4 shift. Or would I be able to fix that with that swap as well?
Also how early would the 1-2, 2-3 shifts be if I start with the gear swap first?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

FWIW, my Mark VIII has 3.27 gears in the rear and it's in 4th gear and locked up at 33 mph if I'm going easy on the throttle.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 AM
̇

Garage
Quote:
That seems a bit earlier than I'd like it to shift although the stock shift points are usually too soon for me.
I could avoid the early 4th by using D and then manually shifting to OD couldnt I?
I would like to swap it so I at least have manual control of the 1-2 shift but then that puts me back to the early 3-4 shift. Or would I be able to fix that with that swap as well?
Also how early would the 1-2, 2-3 shifts be if I start with the gear swap first?
If you want to get more in depth about the transmission, and shift points.etc..Contact SilverFox..

Dan can probably answer all your questions about your AOD Transmission..

Rayo..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in