another mark viii diff. i.d. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

another mark viii diff. i.d.

I brought a sub frame that's i was told from a '98 mark viii. It is going under my mg midget i know its a bit wide but i cut the car in two and widened it 10" lol i know what shelby the only one that thinks out of the box. The power plant is a ls3 base ct-525. Still thinking about the transmission , after reading alot of threads here i going to go with a aod pedal shifting trans.
The diff tag reads : 4 3 4 A
3 27 88 7 L O 4

couple other things:
going to use the air bags that came with the subframe both front and rear , also got the front subframe alum. differential and lower control arms.
looking to do a little drifting and road course type of fun stuff with my bride.
thank you for your help , i have enjoyed reading about the lsc here of this foum.
lance
bellingham ,washington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Baby Huey

Sounds like its a 3.27 Trac-Loc equipped diff

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Mark VIII's never had a trac loc available from the factory. If it is aluminum pumpkin then it didn't come from the factory with trac loc.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM
Baby Huey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangster View Post
Mark VIII's never had a trac loc available from the factory. If it is aluminum pumpkin then it didn't come from the factory with trac loc.
You are correct, the L in that tag is in the wrong spot to be T-loc equipped. My bad, read through the OP's post too quick

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Thank you

So i knew i needed to remove the cover ,every thing glued together with mother natures lock tight. http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...s3b6fe781.jpgt

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...ps23bbb751.jpg

Hmm single piston calipers in back will need to change those , next thing to do is i will go reread those post about open to track lock switch outs and see what i can find up here in the great northwest as far whats available around me. Got some ideas on whats the best way to go.
My plan would be to find the parts and then have a a shop put is together for me , i have done some class eight trucks stuff but i also had a shop and press and the right tools to do them with.
thank you for you help and suggestions
Lance
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you are keeping the same gear ratio, then installing a trak-lok is easy and won't require any presses or special tools, other than a dial indicator to check the backlash, but if using a ford trak-lok unit and the same gears, and the same shims, it should line up properly. As for the rear calipers, don't underestimate them, especially on something as light as an MG Midget. One thing some of us do for upgraded brakes is we run the 13" Cobra brakes on the front, and then for the rear, XR7Dave on SCCoA makes a bracket to relocate the stock caliper further out to be able to use the 99-04 Cobra 11.65" rear rotors. This combination should provide plenty of braking ability for you, especially in a car that will be at least 1000 pounds lighter!

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you madmikey , after I took the back cover off I got on my bike went to the only parts/wrecking yard here in Bellingham its not a pick-a-part. I would venture to says they dont care to much about customer service that was a bummer.
But then I opened up the forum and your words gave me some encouragement sweet ! okay back to the old posts and read more about ford trac lock , i know with as light as my car is that if i don't have much of a choice other wise i will be just doing donuts when i pour the juice to her.
The brakes i reason I thought about twin pistons on all four corners is because I will not have room for a vacuum boosters on this build , i plan on using the biggest bore master i can get squeezed on top of the foot box. I will do some research on your suggestion and see what i can find out about these 13" cobra brakes and then check out XR7Dave .
Thank you for your help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Poster

If you want power assisted brakes you could always get the hydro boost set up off a cobra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in