TCCoA Forums banner

Aluminum Differential Bushings

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  BigZ 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone running Aluminum Differential Bushings on their Thunderbird/Cougar here?

I was thinking of using the Aluminum Differential Bushings instead of the Polyurethane ones..

I would like something that holds up better than the Poly which seems to have mixed reviews..

Any added drivetrain vibrations by using the Aluminum vs Rubber or Poly Bushings?

These Bushings..

Anyone got any experiences they'd like to share using the Aluminum Differential Bushings?

Thanks..

Rayo..

See less See more
#2 ·
Not aluminum, but we have steel ones made out of roll bar tubing in the lemons car, and did not notice any difference in harshness with it, plus it cost almost nothing, just cut some roll bar tubing to length, cut the rubber off the washer part of the stock bushings, weld the roll bar tubing to the washer, paint, and reinstall.

#3 ·
I take it the OD of the roll bar tubing was exactly the same diameter as the holes in the ears of the Differential?
That's a good idea.. :idea:

My only concern with that would be possible misalignment of the pinion angle..

Most of the kits I've seen for the Aluminum Differential Bushings have extra washers included to allow you to change the pinion angle if needed..

I'll keep this in mind though..Thanks Mikey.. ;)

Were you guys literally cooking the bushings right out of the Differential on your Lemons car?

Rayo..

#4 ·
I would also use a solid rear mount so that it doesn't try to twist there, and break the ears off.

RwP

#9 ·
It says their out of stock? :confused:

One other thing..

It's my understanding the aluminum differential has different sized holes on the ears verses the cast iron differential.

So..I'm not sure how the fit would be..

Maybe someone who has used the Aluminum Differential Bushings meant for a 99-04 Cobra on a cast iron differential can chime in.. :D

Rayo..

#10 ·
I had a set made for the aluminum pumpkin in my bird when I ran it, the rear mount went bad, a hard launch and loud pop was the sound of the ear cracking off of the differential case. I've since replaced my rear mount, run poly bushings, and switched back to energy suspension red poly bushings with no ill effects after many drag passes.

#12 ·
Thanks Chris..

Had you been running a poly rear mount on that hard launch..I wonder how your ears would have fared on that aluminum differential?

Did you get any Daily Drive time in with the Aluminum Differential Bushings installed?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still looking for more information on the Aluminum Differential Bushings before I pull the trigger..

No doubt aluminum vs poly the aluminum would hold up better..

I don't want to end up with a lot of drivetrain noise reverberating through the car though..

Any experienced feedback on the Aluminum Differential Bushings would be appreciated..

Thanks

Rayo..

#16 · (Edited)
Differential Bushing Mod

I've got the Energy Suspension Poly Bushings 4.1126G sitting in a box getting dusty..

Once I heard the Aluminum Differential Bushings meant for the 99-04 Cobras work on our cars as well..I kind of changed my mind about using the Polys.. :D

I might make some Differential Bushings similar to what MadMikey was describing..

Just to see if solid Differential Bushings are something I can live with..

Here's a pic of what I was thinking:

Basically the Bushing will center it tightly in the ears of the differential..

The Bushing will also go through the center of each washer with very tight tolerances..

Then by having all the Washers in there..Setting the Pinion angle if necessary will still be an option..

I can put a couple of these together for around $20 vs the $70+ most places are charging for the Aluminum Differential Bushings.. :rolleyes:

What do you think?

Rayo..

#20 ·
Here's a pic of what I was thinking:

Basically the Bushing will center it tightly in the ears of the differential..

The Bushing will also go through the center of each washer with very tight tolerances..

Then by having all the Washers in there..Setting the Pinion angle if necessary will still be an option..
Bad idea if you think stacking the washers changes the pinion angle. As the angle of the housing changes it is not parallel to the mounting surfaces. Either tapered washers or paired spherical washers will be needed to accommodate the change in the angle of the housing to the IRS subframe.

#17 ·
Take the stock ones, and cut the rubber part of the bushing off of it with a razor blade. That will leave the center rubber bushing part to locate it, allow you to stack up the washers (probably after drilling out the hole a bit), and will allow you to keep the stock bolts to save some money.

#21 ·
Bringing back this old thread.

Has anyone else run aluminum diff bushings on the street/track that can comment on traction and ride feel?

I have both the poly/alum bushings and the performance art works mount. Im starting my rear suspension install and will go with the polys till i get some road miles on the car. Then ill swap in the aluminum pieces and give a review for those wanting to try the same. Probably be a few months but comment now if you have.

Zack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.