possible trak loc in the future.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

possible trak loc in the future..

Went to the local PnP today and found 3 thunderbirds with trak loc.

My question is will a 94-95-96 trak loc pumpkin fit into my 94 lx without having to adjust backlash or reshim anything.

Im looking for basically plug and play setup.

I figured if i dropped the axles and stuck it under my car as it was i woukdnt have to open the case for anything other than a inspection of the parts.

I do want to use the trak loc switch. Does a non tl equipped car have the factory harness for the tl. As in if i got the switch and its panel could i just plug it into my harness and mount it..?

Snows coming up in the next month or two and it would also be better than the one wheel peels haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Just pull the whole pumpkin from the yard, no reshimming necessary and junkyards, at least round my parts frown on buying differential components separate so the prices are the same.

There is no traction lok switch, there's traction assist but A. it has nothing to do with the differential and B. it was equipped only on NON trac lok cars, it's function is rendered fairly useless with a trac lok carrier.

-Matt
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Kind of slapped together

While grabbing the pumpkin, don't forget to get the vehicle speed sensor out of thw transmission, so you can get the drive gear.

Fuelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Only if the pumpkin you find has 3.27 gears, if it's a 94/5 chances are they're the same as what you got already

-Matt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
While grabbing the pumpkin, don't forget to get the vehicle speedsensor out of thw transmission, so you can get the drive gear.
Without that speed sensor i take it something wouldnt work right?. Its 50$ all u carry around here so next weekend ill def be getting one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Only if the pumpkin you find has 3.27 gears, if it's a 94/5 chances are they're the same as what you got already
Im not sure on my gears but regardless the ratio i would still want the trak lok rear end.

I thought the switch was for turning the torque from 2 wheel back to one..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:24 PM
Kind of slapped together

The speedometer would not be accurate if the ratio is not the same as what you have now. As Matt points out, it probably is ... but if it's "$50 for all you can carry", grab it! Even if it's the same, you can put it with your OLD pumpkin and offer the two together for someone else to rebuild! *Grins*

The switch, as Matt mentioned earlier, is for the Traction Control system, which uses the ABS to brake the slipping side (reducing total power out) instead of the TrakLok which directs more power to the side that doesn't slip (NOT reducing total power out.)

They are NOT the same, AAMOF, you CAN run both at the same time (although my thought is "Why WOULD you??? " since the Traction Control will fight the TrakLok. But eh.)

RwP

Fuelly
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
The speedometer would not be accurate if the ratio is not the same as what you have now. As Matt points out, it probably is ... but if it's "$50 for all you can carry", grab it! Even if it's the same, you can put it with your OLD pumpkin and offer the two together for someone else to rebuild! *Grins*

The switch, as Matt mentioned earlier, is for the Traction Control system, which uses the ABS to brake the slipping side (reducing total power out) instead of the TrakLok which directs more power to the side that doesn't slip (NOT reducing total power out.)

They are NOT the same, AAMOF, you CAN run both at the same time (although my thought is "Why WOULD you??? " since the Traction Control will fight the TrakLok. But eh.)

RwP
I see your point. Yes it would be crazy to run both of them together, wouldnt it just end up killing 1 or the other. If ran together.

For 50$. Im wishing i can carry two just in case the first is trash.

Anyone know how much these iron ones weigh? Im assuming 100-130lbs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:17 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
I think they're about 80-85 lbs.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Kind of slapped together

A Lexmark MX811de is heavier, but easier to lift *grins*

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in