Diff cover failure. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Diff cover failure.

I would like some input on the chance of my diff cover cracking. I know it seems fool heart to ask such a question. The OEM parts all succumb to time and wear in stock configurations. I would like to know if any one has has catastrophic failure with stock power and OEM bushings, or is it only the addition of serious power. I have a theory about the failing aftermarket bushings and lowering with heavier rims and tires too.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 05:23 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
It's happened. racecougar broke one with his split port T-Bird.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Stock? No.

You won't see failure with stock power and OEM bushings.

The best example of beat-the-hell out of a rear end failure was Joker's catastrophic failure at Mason Dixon in 2011.

See this thread for details, pictures and video.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=1470789

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I wanted to start a sticky with most beneficial mods. Such as, 3.73 gears needs mod X Y and Z on suspension. Jerrys mod should have a tranny cooler and Mec V flush. Stuff like that, I am not putting the aforementioned mods with the upgrades it is just an example. Maybe a warning, I saw it a lot on the 5.0 group I used to hang out with in the early 90's. Guys would throw all these go fast things in and not add supporting brake, cooling and stuff. We had several guys destroy their cars and themselves. Just an idea.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 09:07 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you be more specific? What kind of warning?

As far as most beneficial mods, there is the section - albeit buried - in the "Overall" section of the tech articles entitled "How can i make it faster for under $500?" which pretty much covers the basics.

I don't see that being a problem here; these cars aren't 5.0 Mustangs and this isn't the early 90's. I understand that you probably saw a lot of irresponsible people in their teens or twenties or even thirties destroy their cars and possibly themselves over the years. Fortunately, to my knowledge, TCCoA has never lost a member or an engine due to a car that wasn't properly equipped or a driver that chose to drive irresponsibly.

Any car, in any condition - stock or otherwise - has the potential to be dangerous if driven irresponsibly. There's really no way to warn against every possibility.

Specifically to this forum; I honestly think that anyone and everyone who has the means and wanted to mod a MN12 to be - potentially - that dangerous has: A. already done so and B. taken the additional necessary precautions or - as has been pointed out several times over the years - are aware of the potential consequences and have made an informed choice not to take the necessary steps to offset the risk, i.e. upgrading the brakes, etc.. Another example that comes to mind are members who build cars capable of sub 11.5 second quarter mile runs who choose not to add a roll cage. It's their choice. I also (nearly) fall into that category.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-04-2015 at 09:58 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you be more specific? What kind of warning?

As far as most beneficial mods, there is the section - albeit buried - in the "Overall" section of the tech articles entitled "How can i make it faster for under $500?" which pretty much covers the basics.

I don't see that being a problem here; these cars aren't 5.0 Mustangs and this isn't the early 90's. I understand that you probably saw a lot of irresponsible people in their teens or twenties or even thirties destroy their cars and possibly themselves over the years. Fortunately, to my knowledge, TCCoA has never lost a member or an engine due to a car that wasn't properly equipped or a driver that chose to drive irresponsibly.

Any car, in any condition - stock or otherwise - has the potential to be dangerous if driven irresponsibly. There's really no way to warn against every possibility.

Specifically to this forum; I honestly think that anyone and everyone who has the means and wanted to mod a MN12 to be - potentially - that dangerous has: A. already done so and B. taken the additional necessary precautions or - as has been pointed out several times over the years - are aware of the potential consequences and have made an informed choice not to take the necessary steps to offset the risk, i.e. upgrading the brakes, etc.. Another example that comes to mind are members who build cars capable of sub 11.5 second quarter mile runs who choose not to add a roll cage. It's their choice. I also (nearly) fall into that category.
Perhaps warning is not the correct choice of words, I did not mean to come off so condemning. I was thinking of just a more effective way of posting upgrades. Like the under 500 mods you mentioned. That is exactly what I was thinking.

The mention of my 5.0 friends was just to explain that there are people that don't have the sense or automotive knowledge to upgrade the brakes when making the car faster. It isn't the sites responsibility to stop the progress of natural selection.

I was thinking of a mutual beneficial plan of execution, A two birds with on stone approach. Increasing the information on the Mods under 500 would possibly decrease the amount of questions. For example have a sub section under each upgrade. I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having mods for under 500 by adding additional upgrades for each mod. But this is just an example, EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SUSPENSION UPGRADES! if there was a suspension tech article that included different lowering springs and the difference between linear and progressive. The addco sway bar explanation, the spec for alignment, OEM or urethane bushing and a section of while you are at it you should replace this or that. This is just one subject out of many that this could be utilized. I have watched All the moderators are constantly posting and re-posting, someone pointed out that many of you guys have families and other responsibilities. I am sure the addition of a one stop tech article of everything one must know about a topic would help you guys out. I am sure there are plenty of members, my self included that would jump at the chance to streamline the process.

Once they are all focused and refined, the forum could be used to come up with ways to find that one off modification that is spoken about and combined into a standard list of upgrades we use today and in the future. I was not trying to undermined or knock just trying to think on the edge of the box.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 07:54 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
That was a helpful article. I noticed it mentions aftermarket headers yielding 5-8hp. I'm guessing this figure is for shortys? Or is that what people normally gain from long tubes?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
MustangKid: Probably ported stock manifolds, shorties or the KOOKS mid-length headers. Unless you custom build your own long tubes like GM they aren't available.

I don't have time right now but I'll get back to you funderbird. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in