97 mark viii differential bushings - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

97 mark viii differential bushings

I had a clunk in the rear and installed some energy suspension 4.1126r bushings. The noise is better but still some there. When you put it in gear the pumpkin still lifts up a bit on the passenger side, though not as much. My question is are these parts correct? No one listed any for Marks and I assumed they are the same as bird. Should there be some movement of the differential? Would past movement be hard on the halfshaft? It seems to flex a bit with it.
This thing clunks and vibrates like an old Ford tractor. I replaced the driveshaft with a one piece from a 93 and new spicer u-joints. I am waiting on new tires and wheels next week. Everything I do makes it a little better but still nowhere near comfortable at highway speeds.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Well I did what I should have done and searched here and found out the bushings are correct. All the control arm bushings look good and I'm going to wait for new tires and see if it helps the vibrations. I'm still curious if the differential should move though.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Kind of slapped together

That may depend on how much it's moving, Steamer471 . Some is believable, but I'd doubt you could see it while under the car myself (or maybe you can!)

One more thing - what kind of shape is the rear mount in?

RwP

Fuelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

The rear mount looks good, anywhere to find one just in case? Previously when I jacked up the car I spun the passenger wheel the diff would go up and the halfshaft cocked up like a dogs leg. Now I can see a little movement with the car on the ground and my gilrfriends foot on the brake moving the shifter from reverse to drive (man i'm a trusting soul) while I climb under it. When I get some time I'll jack it up again.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Well I checked the difference with my 94 bird. I replaced the ones on it a few years back and it has no real movement compared to the mark. I pulled the mark's and checked and re-tightened and still moves. Rear mount must bad. Only thing I can find on here is to replace with a solid mount (and new stronger cover) or put a bolt or two thru the old one. Ain't ready to spend the $400+ bucks for the re designed stuff yet. Junk yard ones probably worn out also. Any way to repair the old or order a new? I can't even find a part number for this thing.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Kind of slapped together

There's no good way I've found to repair the old one save to drill through it and bolt the two parts solid.

And I'm not sure that's a good idea, unless you're running basically stock (there's a REASON why it's somewhat compliant as delivered.)

I'd put a brace on it, or swap back to the iron pumpkin, before I did that personally.

The OTHER way is to melt off the old rubber and cast new onto it ... Err, no. I'll find something else to fit first

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in