Rear Axle Disassembly - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Rear Axle Disassembly

Hi Guys,

I am currently building a v8 Miata with a Ford 8.8 Rear End. I'm currently stuck and hoping you guys can help.

I ordered these axles from Summit Racing, as they have the inner and outer CVs I need to do the swap.
A1 Cardone Remanufactured CV Drive Axles 60-2023 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

I need to remove the inner and outer CVs from the axle shaft so that I can swap the axle shaft for the Monster Miata ones.

The inner joints pop right out, but the outers are not moving at all. I've taken them to the machine shop and they cannot get them to budge.

Anyone have any tips on how to make this happen?

This is the joint I'm referencing:
http://static.summitracing.com/globa....jpg?rep=False

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Per Ford:
Quote:
Insert CV Joint Remover Tool T89P-3514-A or equivalent between differential housing and CV joint and push tool outboard until CV joint becomes free from differential side gear.
The circlip is holding it place, a pry bar should get it out.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Per Ford:

The circlip is holding it place, a pry bar should get it out.
He ordered new halfshafts, he's not asking how to remove them from the differential, they're not attached to a car. He's asking how to disassemble the shafts themselves so they can be modified to fit a much narrower chassis

I tried doing this a while back just for the hell of it, but couldn't make it happen on the side you're having trouble with. I remember there being a snap ring where the shaft and joint meet though, so that probably needs to be removed before being pressed. Here's a diagram of it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r0urk3.jpg (1.28 MB, 12 views)

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 04-04-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 04:55 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
There's a Large clip inboard of the joint; you reach thru the joint somehow and unclip it, IIRC.

It seems like the "two screwdriver" method works to get it apart, it's easier to put back together.

The inner shaft slides out, and then the "balls" section turns and come out.

I've never done these, but they are all basically the same...

EDIT: Yup, #'s 10 and 11. The way that's drawn, it's on the outside; look for a spot to put a screwdriver.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ah, allergies and meds doing a number on me today--at least I'm feeling better.

Need to remove 9 and 10, stop ring and C-clip. Sorry I'm looking at the 92 Manual, Matt what year is page?

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird

Last edited by bowez; 04-04-2016 at 05:31 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:29 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Ah, allergies and meds doing a number on me today--at least I'm feeling better.
It's that time of year; I walked outside at lunch today, a beautiful Tennessee Spring day.

I smelled some wonderful Honeysuckle in bloom, and instantly descended to sneezing.

My black car was green at lunch.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 07:01 PM
̇

Garage
Outer CV Joint Removal

The outer CV Joint was never meant to be removed..

That's why there is no information on how to remove it in the Ford Service Manual..

Ford did offer replacement outer CV Joints, but they came as an assembly which included the axle shaft as well..

Like this:

All that being said..Guys have found a trick to separating the outer CV Joint from the axle shaft without destroying it..

Basically, you need a piece of 1-1/2 diameter PVC pipe longer than the CV Joint axle shaft:

Then you slide the 1-1/2 diameter PVC pipe over the axle shaft:

After you do that..With the CV Joint axle shaft assembly inside the PVC pipe..
Drop it straight down from a couple of feet on a hard surface (Like concrete):

Keep doing that until the CV Joint separates from the axle shaft..
I would recommend using a new snap-ring on the end you just separated..

I don't know how many outer CV Joints I destroyed, before I found this trick posted on the web..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 AM
PostWhore

I would take it to an axle shop, if you have one. We have one here that specializes in CV joint axles. They know that stuff inside and out, no point in inventing tools to work on it, and possibly not getting it put back correctly.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:51 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
I would take it to an axle shop, if you have one. We have one here that specializes in CV joint axles. They know that stuff inside and out, no point in inventing tools to work on it, and possibly not getting it put back correctly.
I don't know if you have ever tore down a set of MN12 CV Axles before, but I have and it's not rocket science..

It is actually pretty easy to do if you don't mind getting a little grease on your hands..

Not to mention all the parts you need to rebuild them are available aftermarket..
Except for a few core components like the axle shafts themselves..

In fact, I planned on doing a write-up on it if someone else doesn't beat me to it first..

I looked into getting a set of CV Axles rebuilt by a shop, before I started tinkering with them myself..

After finding out the trick to it..I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for me..

High HP or Custom CV Axles are very expensive for our cars for what they are..

I'm normally a proponent of letting the pro's work on certain parts of the drivetrain that requires special equipment or tools..
Not in this case though..

There's not any expensive special tools or equipment required to do rebuild our CV Axles..

I encourage the OP to do this himself..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in