Where to buy a custom Driveshaft? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Where to buy a custom Driveshaft?

I am in need of a custom fit Driveshaft for my Tbird.. As you can see from my sig. I have a t-45 tranny in there and I had taken my stock driveshaft and had it cut down to fit.. This was due to the fact that I ran out of money sold the house (had to get the car out of the garage etc...) and Now have a new house (much better and Larger Garage) and I need a New Driveshaft BAD the one I have at speeds of 75-80mph it feels as if she's gonna bounce off the road!!! this with the 3.73's isn;t a good combo... SO I need a good driveshaft for cheap! It doesn;t "have" to be aluminum but it needs ot be good and BALANCED!! I found a couple of websites but was wondering where everyone else gets theses types of parts... I still am going to Check locally first.. Does anybody know if True Blue Performace can get driveshafts for a decent price? I will call them I guess...

Anyhow this is the first Time I have posted in probly over a year or better so Please be kind... Thanks TCCOA

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 08:06 PM

One of the best driveshafts available is the mmc shaft, which you can get from Dennis Reinhart . Contact him and he'll tell you what you need to do, and how much it is. I think its in the neighborhood of $400.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

I saw those MMC shafts and I don;t think I need that much performance (yet) I'm looking for something a little cheaper!!!! Right now I want to get through the next year! before I have to fix anyhig else on my tbird.. ( I'm on the poor side) LOL.... I plan on going balls to the wall in about a year, But right now I'm just looking for something that will work...

Trust me in one year that Tbird of Mine is going to be down right dirty!!!! But like I said right now I got other things going... I got a 1942 John Deere I'm fixin up.... thinking about tractor Pulls what ya think!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Dan
3rd Gear Poster

Even the Mark VIII Aluminum driveshafts cost around $150 from a wrecking yard, and youd still need to pay to have it shortened. If you can get a good deal on the labor, or buying the DS youll be in luck, otherwise, it may be as cost effective ( and more worthwhile ) to buy the MMC.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 11:29 AM

Talking Why don't you find a QUALITY drive shaft shop....

Quote:
Originally posted by jbird
It doesn;t "have" to be aluminum but it needs ot be good and BALANCED!! ... I still am going to Check locally first.. Does anybody know if True Blue Performace can get driveshafts for a decent price? I will call them I guess...

Anyhow this is the first Time I have posted in probly over a year or better so Please be kind... Thanks TCCOA

Jason
that does HIGH speed balancing rebuilding and have them break
the welds on your current shaft and rebuild and balance it?
It'd cost you less than an MMC or Mark VIII that you'd have to
have resized anyway. Might be a way of getting running properly,
for the moment, and spend less money....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

How about these Guys that First shaft looks OK even the Aluminum one doesn;t seem bad in price....

http://www.pstds.com/driveshafts.cfm

Otherwise m next question is How does Dennis R. Measure the Driveshaft length, I would assume centerline of the U-joint where it attaches to the each end. But I need to Know exactly how to measure....

thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 03:24 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Why does it need to be shortened?

I dont understand why you would have to shorten a driveshaft.I measured both transmissions and they seem to be the same length from bell housing to tailshaft.Am I missing something here?Plus I measured the T-5 today that is gonna be going into my 94 and it is the same length as the 4R70w that is in our cars now.It appears that the only thing that needs to be changed is the front yoke because of the spline difference.Both transmissions seem to be around 31 1/2 inches long.
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com

Last edited by LX-Tasy; 09-16-2002 at 03:52 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:33 PM

Talking Why does it need to be shortened?......

Quote:
Originally posted by LX-Tasy
I dont understand why you would have to shorten a driveshaft.I measured both transmissions and they seem to be the same length from bell housing to tailshaft.Am I missing something here?Plus I measured the T-5 today that is gonna be going into my 94 and it is the same length as the 4R70w that is in our cars now.It appears that the only thing that needs to be changed is the front yoke because of the spline difference.Both transmissions seem to be around 31 1/2 inches long.
Chris
Could be my bad. Somehow I'd gotten the idea that the
T=45/4.6L combo required a shorter drive shaft. You
DO have a 4.6, right?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Re: Why does it need to be shortened?......

Quote:
Originally posted by MagerThom

Could be my bad. Somehow I'd gotten the idea that the
T=45/4.6L combo required a shorter drive shaft. You
DO have a 4.6, right?
Here is the deal MagerThom.I have a 94 with the 4.6 but it has a bad motor so I am putting in a 5.0 5-speed from a 93 GT.I went over and measured all three trannys and they seem to be the same length.The T-45,T-5 and the 4R70W are all in the 31 1/2 range.That is why I couldnt understand why anyone would need to lengthen or shorten a driveshaft.
I know that Papajohn orginally did the swap and said something about it but I dont know what combo he actually used.From what I have measured they are all the same.
Hope this helps,
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in