TCCoA Forums banner

Front Bar Install Issues

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Icarus 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a new ADDCO 1.25" bar on the front of my Cougar, and things seem to not be lining up correctly with the bushings and brackets. The bushings barely fit on the bar by themselves, and the brackets are very tight over the bushings. When the brackets are pushed down tight on the bushings, it causing the bushing to spread apart at the seam. In addition to this, the brackets are not even close to touching the spacer plates. I am not able to even get the bolts started to attempt to pull the bushing back together.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is it possible they sent me the incorrect bushings, and that is the cause of these problems. I would think I will need longer bolts at a minimum considering the added height of the spacers.

Here is a picture:
http://www.adenracing.com/Pictures/Cougar/ADDCO_Bushing.JPG

Thomas

EDIT: The bushings have 1-1/16 stamped on the side of them. Is that supposed to correspond with the bar size?

#3 ·
I would think I will need longer bolts at a minimum considering the added height of the spacers.

yes you do. One other thing i did was to cut a groove in the end of the longer Bolts.
There is almost no space for fingers or tool(once the Kmember is back up) to loosen or tighten the Bolts. The groove on the end allows me to get the bolt in or out with a Flat head screw driver. Works good, i had to re grease my Bushings after a week for using the wrong grease.:mad:
I ordered my 1"3/8 years ago and installed it just 2 months ago. I noticed on my bushings the same thing, 1'1/6 ???
It works for now but if it comes to it, the Bolt mod. allows me an easy swap of the Bushing together with the Rear Braked. Hope this helps some.
Maic

#4 ·
Got everything squared away today. It took much longer than I had planned, but it is installed.

I was able to get the brackets to fit after I "flattened" them a bit in the vise. I did have to drill out the holes a bit on the brackets and the cheap stamped steel shims that ADDCO provided. I did end up getting some longer bolts. The stock ones would of worked had everything fit nicely from the start. With the longer bolts I was able to get them started and pull the bracket down and into place.

Thomas

#5 ·
Thomas,
The bushing I got for mine were off a bit too. I took a sanding drum that was 1 1/4" and rounded it out as mine were oval shaped, as Addco just drills out smaller bushings.
They squeaked though before and after no matter what I did and which grease I used, so I switched them with some greaseable ES bushings (9.5165) which come with their own shells. I changed the zerk fitting to a 90* one so I can grease 'em while I change the oil (they face towards me when I'm under the car,) and they work great now, nice and quiet! I used some nice thick marine grease that's almost identical to the stuff ES sells...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.