post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Review: 2011 Ford Explorer Limited

Filed under: SUV, Ford, Reviews
Wait 'Till They Get A Load Of This

2011 Ford Explorer Limited - Click above for high-res image gallery

They call it a reboot. It happens all the time in Hollywood when a movie franchise falls flat. After a blockbuster wears out its audience with a string of lesser sequels, the studio starts over, retelling the story from an entirely new angle.

The best example is Batman. The combination of Michael Keaton and director Tim Burton produced critical acclaim and big box office numbers for the first two Caped Crusader films in 1989 and 1992. Then came a new director, Joel Schumacher, who just about killed the franchise with Batman Forever in 1995 and Batman & Robin in 1997. Eight years passed before someone in Hollywood realized the Dark Knight's name could still fill theater seats, and the franchise was rebooted in 2005 with the dark and gritty Batman Begins.

The totally redesigned 2011 Ford Explorer is the Blue Oval's Batman Begins. Ford's most famous sport utility vehicle has desperately needed a reboot ever since the Firestone tire recall in 2000 made it Rollover Enemy Number One. Rising gas prices haven't helped either, but the tire debacle hurt the brand badly, with the Explorer going from this country's third best-selling vehicle in 2000 with 445,157 sold to just over 60,000 bought in 2010. But just like Batman, the Explorer name had value that Ford couldn't let go to waste. And so the 2011 Explorer is the sport utility story retold by Ford from an entirely new angle. The question is whether or not the Explorer's name can still put butts in seats.

Continue reading...

Gallery: 2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD: Review

Photos copyright (C)2011 John Neff / AOLContinue reading Review: 2011 Ford Explorer Limited
Review: 2011 Ford Explorer Limited originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 11 Feb 2011 11:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:34 PM
6th Gear Poster

I guess Ford needs another glorified minivan in their lineup. The Explorer should continue to be a real truck. My mom has a 2000 5.0 4 door with the grey trim package, it is a sharp little truck. I put 255-70-16 Cooper ATRs on it a few years ago, it is nearly unstoppable in Midwestern winters.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08

Last edited by coolhandzep; 02-13-2011 at 12:52 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Personally I don't like where the Explorer is going (well has gone) but it is what the market (soccer moms) want. Real off-road capability is not needed so Ford is using good logic in getting rid of the body on frame design and going FWD.

I do ask the question why does Ford need 4 Minivans (Windstar, Flex, Edge and not Explorer)? I don't care if only one of them has a sliding door they are all minivans.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Ford's trying to squeez every potential model out of the D3 platform they can like they did with the Fox, the difference being the fox was versatile in that it happily matched the function of what the make/model demanded.

Not to get political, but it will be interesting to see the backfire "CSUV's" cause under the current cafe regs. given the only reason SUV's ever got popular was because the old cafe standard practically killed off traditional RWD V8 cars many buyers still wanted.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in