Ford confirms 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder, eight-speed transmission - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Ford confirms 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder, eight-speed transmission

This ought to help them reach some uber high CAFE numbers...

Filed under: Technology, Ford

2011 Ford Fiesta - Click above for high-res image gallery

Derrick Kuzak, Ford Group Vice President of Global Product Development, has confirmed that the Dearborn automaker will offer turbocharged EcoBoost powertrains in 90 percent of its vehicles here in the United States by 2013. This journey for (nearly) full-line forced-induction started with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 found in the Taurus, Flex and F-150, as well as the Lincoln MKS and MKT. Next, we'll be seeing a 2.0-liter EcoBoost inline-four under the hood of the Edge and Explorer, and now, Ford has confirmed development of a 1.0-liter EcoBoost three-cylinder engine.

This 1.0-liter, inline-three will be the smallest engine in Ford's portfolio, and it will find its way under the hood of vehicles across the globe. No specific output or fuel economy numbers have been divulged just yet, but Joe Bakaj, Ford's Vice President of Global Powertrain Engineering, says that the 1.0-liter triple will provide similar power to the automaker's 1.6-liter naturally aspirated four, while improving fuel economy. When asked, Bakaj tells us that the fuel economy improvements will be similar in percentage to those with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 compared to a naturally aspirated V8.

Ford says it plans to announce more information about the 1.0-liter engine at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show, including exactly what vehicles will be powered by this mill. Since Ford is benchmarking its 1.6-liter engine here - the powerplant used in the Fiesta - we'd expect that this EcoBoost three almost certainly slot into Ford's smallest offering here in the States.

The Blue Oval has also confirmed that it is working on an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission, which is being designed, engineered and built by Ford in-house. Bakaj states that the eight-speed automatic will offer "best-in-class" shift smoothness and responsiveness.

Follow the jump for Ford's official press release.Continue reading Ford confirms 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder, eight-speed transmission

Ford confirms 1.0L EcoBoost three-cylinder, eight-speed transmission originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 12:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Geez, an eight speed transmission? Why not just go with a CVT?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Probably because Nissan has a patent on the CVT design.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-03-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
LOL, I just posted a similiar link in the "F-150, V6" post.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Probably because Nissan has a patent on the CVT design.
I'm sure Nissan has patents on their CVT design but there are more ways to skin that cat.
VW/Audi, Ford (ZF codevelopment), GM, and Toyota all have their own CVT designs (Toyota's Prius has a form of CVT).

IIRC, Audi and Fords CVTs are chain driven while Nissan's is belt driven. The chain ones can handle more torque.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continu...e_transmission

I believe the question of why an 8spd transmission when they already have a CVT is a valid one. Is this engine a real torque monster?
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Also (just pointing this out), the '11 Fusion Hybrid also has a CVT.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
honda has a bike with cvt

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I read that link and then read about the new 2012 srt8 300, talk about the other end of the spectrum. It seems both compacts and big cars are getting way too complex for their own good(bye bye panther!). People needing a grocery getting commuting car dont need a turbo anything. People will be sorry they bought them if they aren't experienced wrenchers. With so many usable bulls left here Id rather buy the used bull and have no payments and maybe get worse economy. The bull is well documented online as well.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The reason 8spd is Americans don't like CVTs.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
The reason 8spd is Americans don't like CVTs.
Where did you find that information?

I have no issue with CVTs, don't know anyone that does either.

-Brandon

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Where did you find that information?

I have no issue with CVTs, don't know anyone that does either.
Imagine Jmod'ing that bad boy and chirping the front tires 7 times before hitting top gear.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
Imagine Jmod'ing that bad boy and chirping the front tires 7 times before hitting top gear.
If I understand things correctly, chirping tires = lost traction = slower acceleration

Q: Ever driven a CVT?
The first time I drove the Audi, it was weird. You floor it and the would go to the highest RPM point on the torque curve and just sit there. Meanwhile, the CVT would vary the gears so we were constantly accelerating. Totally Different feeling (albeit a bit "disconnected" IMO)

Once you are at speed, the CVT can go in crazy high final drive ratio so you won't be spinning nearly as fast for the 80MPH you're driving at.

Of course, there's something to be said about chirping tires (just like drifting which usually != the fastest way around a corner). In both cases though (drift car or fun stoplight drag racer), you wouldn't be buying an econobox Aspire. That's for commuting.

Hence, back to the original question: why not a CVT ?

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Forgot where I saw/read it but CVTs were not recieved very well in America. Gist of what I remember Asia like CVT, Europe DSG, and America traditional trannys. Basically based on sales figures.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear Poster

sorry if I missed it, but any guess on the fuel economy on the fiesta? over 50?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in