Concord, NC - First in nation to order fleet of new Ford Police Interceptors - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Chizep
Thumbs up Concord, NC - First in nation to order fleet of new Ford Police Interceptors

This is big news for where I live!

(Click image for news story)

So it looks to be a modified Taurus (SHO?) Not sure if they ordered any of the SUV's (obviously an Explorer.)

More info: http://www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Congrats to Concord. I'm sure the cops are excited about their new rides.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM
PostWhore

The police here have been buying up chargers like they're going out of style, well they've been buying nothing but the Charger since it first came out that the Crown Vic was going bye-bye. Too bad Ford, I think they made a mistake. Time will tell, this is a HUGE gamble IMHO. All I can think is remember the FWD Impala? Yeah, a dud, most cops want nothing to do with FWD.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizep View Post
This is big news for where I live!

So it looks to be a modified Taurus (SHO?) Not sure if they ordered any of the SUV's (obviously an Explorer.)

More info: http://www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com
thanks for posting !

I still like the old fashioned CVPI id rather take all the newer stuff and put it into a CVPI. Look like the good old CVPI got the boot just in time for a new rising economy. Ford ford ford thanks for the extended years of making the old sedan but ya didnt have to kick it in the behind so hard when it left.

So does anyone know if the new taurus bolt pattern is the same as the old?

Those front brakes look like the perfect upgrade.

I can see the old Police cars being desired for as many upgrades as they get.

the 220 amp alt is awesome too bad it cant fit 4.6s

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Not sure about the bolt pattern, I seem to recall them being 4.5 like the mustang these days but haven't ever taken out my tape measure.

I'm with swanny, I think Fords dominance in the fleet car part of the market is over. Both the Charger and especially the GM caprice are more traditional and very likely more robust(the aussies know how to build stuff that can take a beating). Taurus will be bought up by rent-a-cops.

The Panther was the modern Checker, they could have kept building them 20 years from now and no one would really care and Ford would still move them in droves for fleets.

Plus it would be in Ford's best interest for the Taurus to not be associated as THE Taxi or Police car now that they positively revived the name after a decade of dragging it through the mud. I know my main dislike of Crown vics and old Caprices is that you can't look one direction without seeing at least one.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 01-18-2012 at 03:46 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Chizep
AWD is an option, that is pretty sweet.

Nice PDF brochure with a ton of info and pics: http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/m...ochure2_lr.pdf
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ford has two big advantages over GM and Dodge. Price and Center console is 100% compatible with the CV. I also expect the seat are designed the same--giving them room for their belts a major complaint about the others.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:32 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Not sure about the bolt pattern, I seem to recall them being 4.5 like the mustang these days but haven't ever taken out my tape measure.

I'm with swanny, I think Fords dominance in the fleet car part of the market is over. Both the Charger and especially the GM caprice are more traditional and very likely more robust(the aussies know how to build stuff that can take a beating). Taurus will be bought up by rent-a-cops.

The Panther was the modern Checker, they could have kept building them 20 years from now and no one would really care and Ford would still move them in droves for fleets.

Plus it would be in Ford's best interest for the Taurus to not be associated as THE Taxi or Police car now that they positively revived the name after a decade of dragging it through the mud. I know my main dislike of Crown vics and old Caprices is that you can't look one direction without seeing at least one.
Dont come to AZ in the valley mn12s are on every corner still. I drive a common car here still.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah but I bet the MN12s don't have lights on the roof or are painted yellow or white/light turquoise like 99.999% of the crown vics are around here.

I haven't seen a regular crown vic LX that isn't a taxi in years

-Matt
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 07:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Yeah but I bet the MN12s don't have lights on the roof or are painted yellow or white/light turquoise like 99.999% of the crown vics are around here.

THe crown vics here are painted all kinds of colors for fleet use, white is common though. YOud be surprised how many old taurii are now fleet taxis too. I even see grand marquis painted for fleet use all the time. Also youd have a hard time finding a truck or SUV that isnt also on every street here. Youd have to get some rare model to not have something common here. Even classic stangs are seen here often still so yeah LX vics are comon here. I see LX sports once in a while, I see all types of civi panthers. Marauders are rare still to see. I see more cobras than marauders. Also people are crazy for dodge RWD products here. Chargers/challengers/rams/durangos/magnums/300c esp are super common here. Police use lots of chargers here not to mention Tahoes. What can I say AZ likes certain cars and if they are RWD and halfway fast all the better I guess. When I visited IL some years ago I saw 1 300c at their hieght of sales and then come back here to 100s of them. Vics and marquis do get the respect out here, even town cars. I wont ever say AZ is retarded over their love for the panther as a personal car, old police cars get bought up by people who like the car as well as its price. AZ is a panther lovin state.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Lots of 'em around here!

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 PM
PostWhore

Interesting.... with their price numbers they only paid ~$23,500 for each cruiser.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
THe crown vics here are painted all kinds of colors for fleet use, white is common though. YOud be surprised how many old taurii are now fleet taxis too. I even see grand marquis painted for fleet use all the time. Also youd have a hard time finding a truck or SUV that isnt also on every street here. Youd have to get some rare model to not have something common here. Even classic stangs are seen here often still so yeah LX vics are comon here. I see LX sports once in a while, I see all types of civi panthers. Marauders are rare still to see. I see more cobras than marauders. Also people are crazy for dodge RWD products here. Chargers/challengers/rams/durangos/magnums/300c esp are super common here. Police use lots of chargers here not to mention Tahoes. What can I say AZ likes certain cars and if they are RWD and halfway fast all the better I guess. When I visited IL some years ago I saw 1 300c at their hieght of sales and then come back here to 100s of them. Vics and marquis do get the respect out here, even town cars. I wont ever say AZ is retarded over their love for the panther as a personal car, old police cars get bought up by people who like the car as well as its price. AZ is a panther lovin state.

I actually just saw an LX sport tonight after making that post lol Might have been an unmarked police car like usual though.

I just never see civilian owned panthers besides taxi drivers or white auctioned CVPI beaters. Seeing them as often as I do around here in that light really makes them a really dull sight to me and a lot of others who live around here it seems. 90s Grand Marquis I see a bit more often though and I'm generally less repulsed by them with their full width stylized taillamps and interiors with carpet.

MN12's have become relatively rare, I see maybe 2 different ones a week. Usually either completely run to the ground or near mint, nowhere in between.

Chargers and 300s are ubiquitous, there's tons around here.

-Matt
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:33 AM
5th Gear Poster

I remember Ford saying they were looking into building a police intercepter. Good job and Thanks. I couldnt understand why Police Depts wern't buying SHO on there own. But these look like they were worth the wait. Sorry but I think the Charger still looks nicer. The older ones.

93 Mark VIII - Vortech S/C 8psi, Kooks headers, 3800 stall, DD valve body, 4:10 gears w/trac-loc, 2 1/2 true duals with a Magnaflow X-pipe resonator, Electric Water Pump, Meth Injection, 17 in Cobra R wheels. [email protected] Pictures http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/for...o=hall&u=16112 Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/1210291341?feature=mhee
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

AWD standard, now that's pretty cool. Too bad they didn't put in the twin turbo 365hp engine in standard, but it is available as an upgrade! 75 mph rear crash tested! Wow! I guess too many cars hit while sitting on the side of the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizep View Post
AWD is an option, that is pretty sweet.
According to Ford, AWD is standard on ALL Interceptors:
http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...performance_05

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in