Aftermarket Cooling Options - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I'm going to start this thread to discuss my cooling system adventure.

I'm looking for a better option than stock to cool my new 5.3L iron block. This thing runs HOT and the stock radiator can't keep up, especially when the AC condenser is dumping heat in front of it. I saw temps approaching 240 degrees on my way back from the hot rod power tour last week. I had to turn the car's AC off and turn the 2-55 AC on to bring the temps back down - Granted it was about 85 to 90 degrees ambient temps last week.

So, here's where I'm currently at. I bought an FOM588A Radiator for a 67-70 Mustang that is 24" Wide from Cold Case Radiators. This particular unit was recommended to me by the SC guys who were on the tour but, as it turns out, these works great for the SC's ... not so much for the 4.6 LX cars. So, I returned it and discussed other options with a Cold Case sales representative who, after telling me not to hold my breath for a 4.6L option this year and said "May be next year", referred me to Fluidyne, who, as it turns out, is just up the road from me in Mooresville, NC. They are apparently THE go to company for aftermarket cooling and will do custom builds. They're closed on Friday so I've got to wait until tomorrow to contact them.

I'll post an update once I discuss options with them. In the meantime I had the original AC condenser on my car replaced after 24 years.

Edit: I was reading HERE and found that the 04 Cobra radiator might be an option although there is much pain and consternation about the install in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
3R3Z-8005-BA Cobra Radiator $266.43 $199.82
3R3Z-8C607-AA Fan Shroud $235.71 $139.95
1U2Z-14S411-AGA Pigtail Wiring $ 18.75 $ 14.06

Here's all the P/N's you'll need, with retail, and Dan's pricing... several months back, and a dealer back as well!!!!

Here is the wiring info I got from ChadG

-Harness Wiring:
Black (Car) to Black (Rad)
Blue (Car) to Red/Orange (Rad)
Black/Red (Car) to Red/Blue (Rad)

When it comes to the install, you gotta swap the Cobra brackets right for left and upside down, and you'll have to rig a bracket extension for the upper driver's side bolt to the radiator support.

After you get the parts together and look at them it'll make more sense. Several guys here have made the swap, so if you have questions, you'll get answers.

Thanks to Big Scott who did it first.

The cobra radiator is 18 1/4 tall. It does fit under the core support brace with some modification of the bottom mounts.

The dimensions are:

28 3/4" long

1 1/2" wide

18 3/8" tall

This is NOT including the brackets that are sold attached to the rad. The length is from the widest points on the tanks.
Then Danner chimes in with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
Some of the descriptions about how to fit this radiator aren't very good. You do not take the steel brackets off that come as part of the radiator and reverse them. You only flip over the small L shaped brackets that are part of the car, the ones that slide over the upper radiator pegs and bolt to the core support. You do not change them from one side to the other either, in fact they are identical, so that would accomplish nothing.

For the lower pegs, the rubber grommets in the core support do have a bit of oval shaped holes to allow for tolerances. This radiator still did not fit in mine, the pegs were a bit too far apart, so I had to bend the pegs inward just a hint to get them to drop into the grommets.

Just a quick measurement of the core thickness with calipers, I had the stock one at 1.03", the Cobra at 1.43".

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-01-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 01:11 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I bought the old style mishimoto radiator 3-row for the mustang to go in the Red Cougar; they only offer the 2 row one, last time I looked, and they had made the mounts better.

My experiences followed Danners; that's what I did.

I ended up making one hole slightly wider, and had to cut a clearance hole for the drain, it was in a bad spot.

Fit's great, but has not run yet; hopefully next week.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
What's the model number of that one? Link? Price?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 12:33 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Here we go:

Mishimoto Performance Radiators MMRAD-MUS-79A

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...s79a/overview/

Note this one is slightly bigger than the rest, and fitment is more exacting, lol.

They changed the attachment points in the later ones to take some of the stress off the radiator; you have to make sure the 'box' around the radiator doesn't try to bend the radiator when it flexes...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in