TCCoA Forums banner

sway bar bushing..

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  tbirdguy 
#1 ·
so i have replaced everything on my front end and now the clunking is getting worse, good news its def the sway bar bushings...has to be.... so i need to know how to replace them...

will i have to remove the whole bar or does the bushing come in two pieces and the clamp around it hold it together?

#2 ·
Replace the end-links the front sway bar bushings will not clunk, the end-links will. A small pitman arm puller comes in handy to push the upper half out of the spindle.

If you already replaced the end-links I hope you used quality TRW end-links.

Have fun.

#3 ·
hmmm no i didnt do that, but ill go check them out, when i rock the car back and forth i get the clunking and i looked around while my bro rocked it, i swear its coming from the bushings... the sway bar looks like it moves around a little bit in the bushing and the other side doesnt.... the side that clunks does..

#4 ·
The bushings aren't difficult to replace. They have a split in them so no bar removal is necessary.

Chrysler minivans (2000ish vintage) are notorious for eating up the factory sway bar bushings and consequently acquire a rattle/clunk. I wouldn't rule the bushings out entirely as the cause of your clunk. More than likely the endlinks are the culprit however, if everything else is solid.

To remove the endlinks, I remove the nut completely then rethread it on a little ways. Next I pop it with a hammer and they always come out of the spindle like butter. Good luck finding your clunk.

#6 ·
They give trouble though on the sway bar end sometimes. I pounded for a long time but the sway bar seemed to absorb all my blows. If you are stuck, try something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99849

You can also rent this in a kit from advance. I'm not sure about autozone. That tool can also pop ball joints, but you have to widen it a bit with a file or dremel.

#5 ·
thanks coolhandz thats what i was wondering about the bushings, and trunk monkey you were right, i thought it was coming from the bushing, but when i rocked it again and looked at the end link it was def what was making the clunking, thanks for the help, almost replaced the bushings which probably need to be replaced anyways, but now i know what it is, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.