TCCoA Forums banner

Strut rod sleeve?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  BlueEyes 
#1 ·
I keep seeing pictures of the strut rod bushing kit for attachment to the LCA and they all show a sleeve. I didn't see a sleeve when I took mine off is this needed for the LCA attachment?

#2 ·
the ford ones have the sleeve molded inside the rubber

#3 ·
From what I can tell, there are two different designs for the LCA to strut rod bushings. The Motorcraft bushings that are available for purchase new today have sleeves molded into them as previously mentioned. This style of bushing is what is currently present on my Mark 8 and Cougar.

The original bushings I removed from the Thunderbird however were solid pieces of rubber over a common sleeve.

#4 ·
Huh. The one I removed from Ruby Jean and the two sets I picked up in the boneyard all were two-piece telescoping - well, one fit inside the other, with the washers at opposite ends. Don't ask me if front or back was the inside, I don't remember offhand.

Which reminds me - I STILL have clunk and polishing of the K-member there. I bet I'm going to have to trim the ferrules (what you're calling a bushing) down a bit.

(The metal piece is more properly called a ferrule, the rubber is the bushing, in this design. But eh. I'm being pedantic again.)

RwP

#5 · (Edited)
This is the frame side one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.