TCCoA Forums banner

AOD TV Cable Tuning....Need some help plzzzzzzz

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Turbo351 
#1 ·
I bought a 60mm throttle body from flex with an adapter plate about 3/4 inch thick and a phenolic spacer about 1/4 inch thick making a total of about 1 inch. Well I've adjusted the TV cable as best I can but it comes down to this. Smooth shifts and shift point at about 4000 from 1st to 2nd or kind of stiffer shifts (not really stiff just stiffer than stock) and shift point from 1st to 2nd at about 4200. I'm not sure but I think I used to shift at 4500 from first to second? Anyone with an AOD confirm or deny this please? And also is it bad for me to have stiffer shifts if they're not really extremely stiff? It's only in partial throttle if you accelerate slightly the shift will just jerk ya a bit but not like yank me just a slight jerk. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
-Thomas

#2 ·
Mine always made the WOT 1-2 shift at just slightly over 5000 (yeah, 5000, so what :D .) My TV grommet broke and my shift points got all whacky, so I limped into Ford, replaced it, then re-adjusted the TV cable as per the instructions in a Chilton's manual. Shift points went back to how they originally were. Also, my car had about 45k miles on it at the time, so I'm thinking that's about how it is from the factory.

My advice, track down a Chilton's manual (because I'm dumb and don't remember the process) and give it a go. Try your local library if you don't feel like paying money ;)

#3 ·
I have a chiltons and I know how to adjust the TV cable, the only thing is that it's either soft shift and low rpm or stiff shift and high rpm. And unless I make the shifts really hard it won't go above 4200 rpm in first gear.
-Thomas

#4 ·
I do have a B&M shift improver kit (15k happy miles) but that didn't change my shift points, only the shift quality. I don't know what to tell you... :2huh:

#7 ·
what are the chiltons directions compared to the directions on this site?

#9 ·
The TV cable should be adjusted using a pressure gauge according to experts. It should be set to 2-3 psi at idle.

Most people set it by ensuring the TV cable is fully extended at WOT. This will provide some preload at idle. It can be tweaked slightly to change your shift harshness and part throttle upshift/downshift points.

Always set the cable with more preload than less. Too little pressure will damage the transmission. Too much won't hurt the tranny, but may result in harsh gear engagement and harder upshifts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.