TCCoA Forums banner

Trans going?

610 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  hotbird 
#1 ·
Another problem now...

When I go from 1st to 2nd gear its fine, however there is no 3rd gear :( It just revs higher and higher like its not even there. I think this tranny has had it. I tried taking out the memory fuse, but no luck. I dunno what to do and I dont have 2000 for a new/rebuilt tranny :(

I really, really need help. I cant even get to work (well I can but but I will be driving @ like 25 mph)

Also when in park I hear this wierd noise from under the car, like somthing trying to spin but it cant. Not really a grinding though. LIke sandpaper rubbing against metal.

There is no leaks from the car. I checked while running and while off. All fluids are a-ok. Last trans fluid change was 2 weeks ago (had no choice really since both trans gaskets went on the car) Last oil change like 700 mi ago.

Please help...thank you.

--John

#2 ·
Sounds like the direct clutch is toasted. Usually thats the cause of no 3rd gear. It's going to have to be rebuilt. The direct clutch sits on the output shaft, its about the first thing to go in during a rebuild.

#3 ·
I spoke to a local guy around my block. It wil cost about $1300 for a rebuild...however it doesnt matter cause I have no money. I am broke. I have no idea what to do now. Do I continue to drive it @ 25 mph and continue to kill the trans slowly but surely and save, or do I try to find another car...thats not a t-bird :confused: :ztoohot:

I love that car too...I hate this ****. I get a nice car that I really do like and bam...after like 2k mi on it the trans gets ****ed up. No matter how much money I save I can never actually save it. Its always something else. Need this, need that...I hate this......

In short, besides me getting pissed off...I dunno what to do :(

--John

#4 ·
You could always find a lower mileage junkyard one for cheap and throw it in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.