TCCoA Forums banner

I love plastic intake crossovers

1K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Fdawg03SVT 
#1 ·
Well today when I was driving to a party I notice that the "low coolant" light had just came on. I checked the gauges and the temps were in their normal spots so I drove home slowly. This was about 9:15 PM so it was dark out. I'm backing into my driveway when I notice a nice path of liquid from the end of my driveway and I check and there were no puddles anywhere. Then I notice the steam coming from under the hood. I go tell my dad about it and we begin to investigate. It doesn't take us long to figure out that our plastic(composite) intake crossover had a nice crack in it. It looks as if I'm gonna call Dan Newman, and the local ford garage to check on prices. My dad says he doesn't really care to try to replace the old crossover with the new aluminum one, but I was wondering if some of you guys could tell me whether or not its a hard swap to make. Thanks for the help. And by the way, the engine is fine, as i only had to go about 3 blocks back to my house.

Matt

#2 ·
The whole lower intake has to be replaced. Is is not a real tough job. Now would be a good time to swap to a PI intake.

#3 ·
i have a brand new pi intake that i can do $500 shipped to your door. gasket included!!!:D

#5 ·
If you can't afford the PI intake, I am willing to help a you out, I got my 96 take off (plastic crossover :( ) But it only has 20k on it... Will let go for for real cheap if you are on a budget...

#7 ·
We're just gonna stick with the NPI setup. Ford price for all the manifold, gaskets, o-rings, etc. is $589. Advanced Auto said they can get the manifold in by Wednesday for $264. And Auto Zone has it for $250 but their suppliers are out of stock. What an expensive little problem to fix. Too bad ford tried out the composite instead of sticking with aluminum.

Matt

#9 ·
dude, not trying to sound like a jerk, but you can get the PI intake, PLUS all the other parts for the swap for WELL under the prices u were quoted for the npi intake. you'll have a nice intake w/ alum xover AND gain about 15hp. plus the swap would only take an extra 30 mins to do (vs the npi replacement, since u have to replace the coolant tube)

kinda silly to drop almost $300 on a choked npi when u can get a better flowing one for $100 less

#10 ·
:zwthstpd:

Joe

#11 ·
Dude you can probably even get the updated NPI from Dan if you wanna stay NPI brand new for cheaper than Autozone. If you want mine $60.00 takes it. Too bad you are not closer, I would do it for you, it's a pretty easy task.

#13 ·
Yeah, when I swapped my PI intake on, I had a bit of a leak. So I pulled it off did some porting and used a bunch of RTV on it (time consuming) And had it all off and back together within 2 hours. And this is the first car I've really ever worked on myself.

Joe

#17 ·
guitar maestro said:
just keep an eye out on the "for sale" sections of this forum, modular depot, corral........there are always deals to be had on updated NPIs and PIs with the aluminum Xover
That's true got my PI intake brand new for 130 shipped to my house, with the new coolant tube and NPI gaskets.

Dave

#18 ·
I do appreciate the advice, but for $220 with everything we need (gaskets, t-stat, whatever else came with the kit) and a lifetime warranty my dad is happy. I called Dan up and he's got just the PI intake for $167 and the kits for both are upper $200 range. I wouldn't mind the HP gain, but if the match isn't perfect my dad doesn't really wanna chance it.

Matt

#19 ·
**** man.. i GAVE my npi intake to a member who needed it.....

then again.. i do have free use of his spare third member should i need it :D (rear differential smart @$$es)

#21 ·
Red96Bird said:
its ok...it happened to me the first day i had the car....believe me i didnt want a t-bird any more
Same here... Like on the day of the TEST DRIVE my low coolant came on, but I loved the car so much I didn't care! Still do of course.

You want to hear awful? How does $900 sound to replace the intake manifold by a Ford Dealer?

At the time I had JUST got the car, NEVER heard of TCCoA, and didn't know a DAMN thing.. So please be gentle.........

#22 ·
i sold my non pi intake with aluminum crossover on here for $50 shipped. deals are out there. your crazy if you spend that much on a non pi intake.

what exactly does "the kit" come with. i thought u just had to get new gaskets, new thermostat bolts and the alternator bracket? if thats the case thats less than $20 in parts.

i also got a pi intake and all the neccessary parts to do the swap for less than $150. i would go this route. i've had mine on since early march with no problems.

Frank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.