TCCoA Forums banner

Half shafts

846 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  _95badbird 
#1 ·
It has come to my attention that the stock or OEM half shafts on our cars don't like the 300+ HP mark. Is the SC half shaft switch worth the trouble? Or would looking at the RAXLES half shaft be a better buy? I don't want to just go to the 2003 cobra swap because of the hasle of getting 31 spline spindles. Does anyone have a set up that works for them? I figure that I should look in to beefin up everything prior to puting 300+ to the ground. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

#3 ·
OAKEY DOKEY! I was just worring cuz I saw what happened to my buddies car when he broke his. (00-02 ? COBRA INSANE HP) He F-up a bunch of stuff. So I was just worried. What happens if they break on our cars?

#7 ·
funderbird said:
OAKEY DOKEY! I was just worring cuz I saw what happened to my buddies car when he broke his. (00-02 ? COBRA INSANE HP) He F-up a bunch of stuff. So I was just worried. What happens if they break on our cars?
Manual trans-totally different load and shock factor on the driveline.
JL

#10 ·
dirtyd0g said:
I put a pry bar between the end of the axle and the differential and give it a good pop.
You cannot pull on the axle the cv joint will just pull apart.
Alan
Agreed! And sometimes it can be a pain to pull them out even with the crowbar. What I've found works well if they are "stuck" is to whack the main part of the half shaft with a hammer to give it a "shock" while prying with the crowbar.

"Main part" being the 5" diameter part that has the splined shaft that slides into the differential.

#11 ·
funderbird said:
It has come to my attention that the stock or OEM half shafts on our cars don't like the 300+ HP mark. Is the SC half shaft switch worth the trouble? Or would looking at the RAXLES half shaft be a better buy? I don't want to just go to the 2003 cobra swap because of the hasle of getting 31 spline spindles. Does anyone have a set up that works for them? I figure that I should look in to beefin up everything prior to puting 300+ to the ground. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
btw, just to let you know, I personally think the SC shafts are a much better improvemnet over the LX shafts.....
I was at a junkyard the other day, and pulled the 3rd memeber out of an SC....holy shat, the SC shafts looked like they were more than twice the size of my LX shafts.
Also, the passenger side shaft was bigger than the drivers side.

Dirty Dog, can you run 2 passenger side SC shafts, say off a 90 SC, and put them on a 95 LX 4.6l?

#12 ·
The driver and passenger shafts are the same lengths you can do whatever you want. I don't really see improvement because the shafts break on the outboard spline, but if it makes you more comfortable so be it. The markVIII ones are supposed to be hardened better that is what I am using. They also have a slightly larger shaft than stock lx ones.
Alan

#13 ·
dirtyd0g said:
The driver and passenger shafts are the same lengths you can do whatever you want. I don't really see improvement because the shafts break on the outboard spline, but if it makes you more comfortable so be it. The markVIII ones are supposed to be hardened better that is what I am using. They also have a slightly larger shaft than stock lx ones.
Alan
ahhh, gotcha.

thanks

edit: thats a trip....we have the same post count..and the same join date...weird

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.